editor that understands CTRL/B, CTRL/I, CTRL/U

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Apr 27 21:33:31 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> Indeed -- and the employer who bucks this trend does him/her self a huge
> service, because large numbers of very skilled and/or talented people are
> being rejected on entirely arbitrary criteria that have little or no
> correlation to their ability to do the job.

Keep in mind in today's job market, and given Internet methods of
advertising positions, the problem isn't in finding qualified people
-- the problem is in whittling down the couple thousand or so resumes
you get to a manageable pile.  You can afford to reject some qualified
applicants in that process because there are always more looking.

Again, this is one of the reasons credit scoring is becoming so
popular -- it's an almost automatic way to narrow down the pile.
Another method in common use right now is to throw out applications
from anyone who's currently unemployed, and only look at ones who
already have a position and are looking to change jobs.