Python module wnck?

Rod Person rodperson at rodperson.com
Fri Apr 27 11:08:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 03:54:29 +0000 (UTC)
Walter Hurry <walterhurry at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I only wanted three: Clock, ClearCalendar and ClearWeather. They
> >> work perfectly. I haven't tried any of the others.
> >
> > Consider making a port.  Clearly there is some demand.
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
>
> For the Python wnck module, or for screenlets? I'm afraid that
> technically I am well short of the ability to do either. I am more
> than willing to help anyone who elects to so, though.
>
> Incidentally (and this is addressed to Rod mainly), the ClearWeather
> module was broken. I had to hack it a bit to get it to work properly.
> It got confused over proxies, but since I am not unfamiliar with
> Python, that presented no difficulty.

Creating a port itself is rather simple...it the porting of the code
from Linux to FreeBSD that is the hard part. I have one official port
that I made as a way to brush off my C skills, it works but it was hell
getting some of the Linux specific translated but thanks to one of the
committers it got cleaned up...

But anyway, the issues with screenlets is getting any of the screenlets
that interface with the system to work such as Mount, MyIP, Netmonitor
or the CPU Meter, when I tried this with FreeBSD 7.2 none of them worked
because of all the Linux device names.

If you know python this should not be too hard just time consuming. The
only reason I stopped working on this was I moved from using OpenBox to
using the i3 window manager.

I can check around and see if I still have any thing I worked on laying
around but I'm not sure about that...I changed hard disks since then.

I do love python so I would not be adversed to working on some of the
individual screenlet modules.

Rod Person  http://www.rodperson.com  rodperson at rodperson.com

'Silence is a fence around wisdom'