9.0 bsdinstall usage

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Fri Sep 23 16:01:38 UTC 2011

On Fri, September 23, 2011 9:23 am, Fbsd8 wrote:
> These 2 statements should be added at the end of bsdinstall/auto to
> complete the clean up of the install process.
>
> rm /usr/sbin/bsdinstall
> rm -rf /usr/libexec/bsdinstall
>
> Another benefit of doing this is it will no longer be necessary to
> create man pages for bsdinstall.

On the other hand, that makes it harder for someone to look at the program
to see what it does, in order to build or rebuild their own installer, or
to customize the actions of this one.

I don't see a cost to keeping the program around.  There are probably some
slight use cases for it, and there are some slight costs to removing it.
It doesn't have to be everything to everybody: It can be itself, nothing
more and nothing less.

I guess I just don't see the problem with keeping it.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.