[zfs-discuss] ZFS on Dell with FreeBSD

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Thu Oct 20 09:40:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Albert Shih <Albert.Shih at obspm.fr> wrote:
>> > Any advise about the RAM I need on the server (actually one MD1200 so 12x2To disk)
>>
>> The more the better :)
>
> Well, my employer is not so rich.
>
> It's first time I'm going to use ZFS on FreeBSD on production (I use on my
> laptop but that's mean nothing), so what's in your opinion the minimum ram
> I need ? Is something like 48 Go is enough ?

If you don't use dedup (recommended), should be more than enough.

If you use dedup, search zfs-discuss archive for some calculation method posted.

For comparison purposes, you could also look at Oracle's zfs storage
appliance configuration:
https://shop.oracle.com/pls/ostore/f?p=dstore:product:3479784507256153::NO:RP,6:P6_LPI,P6_PROD_HIER_ID:424445158091311922637762,114303924177622138569448

--
Fajar