[zfs-discuss] ZFS on Dell with FreeBSD

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at obspm.fr
Thu Oct 20 09:33:13 UTC 2011

 Le 19/10/2011 à 21:30:31+0700, Fajar A. Nugraha a écrit
> > Sorry to cross-posting. I don't knwon which mailing-list I should post this
> > message.
> >
> > I'll would like to use FreeBSD with ZFS on some Dell server with some
> > MD1200 (classique DAS).
> >
> > When we buy a MD1200 we need a RAID PERC H800 card on the server so we have
> > two options :
> >
> >        1/ create a LV on the PERC H800 so the server see one volume and put
> >        the zpool on this unique volume and let the hardware manage the
> >        raid.
> >
> >        2/ create 12 LV on the perc H800 (so without raid) and let FreeBSD
> >        and ZFS manage the raid.
> >
> > which one is the best solution ?
>
> Neither.
>
> The best solution is to find a controller which can pass the disk as
> JBOD (not encapsulated as virtual disk). Failing that, I'd go with (1)
> (though others might disagree).

Thanks. That's going to be very complicate...but I'm going to try.

> > Any advise about the RAM I need on the server (actually one MD1200 so 12x2To disk)
>
> The more the better :)

Well, my employer is not so rich.

It's first time I'm going to use ZFS on FreeBSD on production (I use on my
laptop but that's mean nothing), so what's in your opinion the minimum ram
I need ? Is something like 48 Go is enough ?

> Just make sure do NOT use dedup untul you REALLY know what you're
> doing (which usually means buying lots of RAM and SSD for L2ARC).

Ok.

Regards.

JAS
--