9.0-PRERELEASE slow scp transfer

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Wed Nov 23 07:20:44 UTC 2011

On 11/22/2011 05:09 PM, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 22/11/2011 15:17, Bas Smeelen wrote:
>> When i copy a file with scp which is a few hundred megabytes on2. from 1.i
>> get about 130 KB/s
>>
>> I can find nothing in the logs or netstat errors on this 9.0-PRERELEASE box.
>> I have switched network kabels and ports on the switch.
>>
>> How could i further investigate?
> Check the duplex settings in ifconfig(8) output on all three machines.
> They should all say:
>
>    media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseTX <full-duplex>)
>
> assuming you're not forcing everything to a particular speed.  Any
> mention of '100baseTX <half-duplex>' indicates a failure to negotiate
> the link settings, which could well be due to a hardware problem.  Mind
> you, in that case you'ld see plenty of errors in the output of 'netstat -i'
>
> If that's not the problem then it sounds like you've eliminated all the
> obvious causes.  Which means a bug in 9.0-PRERELEASE, so please bring
> this up on freebsd-current at ... where it should come to the attention of
> the developers working on getting 9.0 out of the door.  Include 'pciconf
> -lbv' output for the NICs and PHYs on all three machines if you would be
> so kind.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

OK, thanks for the reply.
They're all autonegotiated

(1) 7.3-RELEASE-p2 has 1000baseTX <full-duplex>
(2) 9.0-PRERELEASE has 1000baseT  <full-duplex,master>
(3) 7.4-RELEASE-p4 has 1000baseTX <full-duplex>

So I have switched the cables of (1) and (2) but ifconfig output stays the
same, though I would suspect that (1) would become 1000baseT and (2) would
become 1000baseTX
I have rebooted (2) just to make sure, but still no change in de output of
ifconfig
Putting (2) on another port of the switch doesn't change ifconfig output either

But it's solved!
scp now completes with: 100%  338MB  30.7MB/s   00:11
Hmm still it should be able to go up to 120MB/s, but this could a limitation
somewhere else

Sorry for the noise

Disclaimer: http://www.ose.nl/email