X server and xinit works excellent....almost.

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Nov 10 23:57:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> FreeBSD's users generally are more technically inclined and might be willing to deal with this, but even so, I suspect that most folks would appreciate the system trying to figure out that an AZERTY keyboard layout means French, that JIS means Japanese, that QWERTZ probably indicates German / Swiss / Hungarian, etc.

I thought I'd mention that OS X takes an interesting approach to this.
 When you plug in a keyboard it doesn't recognize, it does a little
dance where it tells you to press certain keys (e.g., "Press the key
to the right of the left Shift key," with a little graphic to help you
understand which key it means) and from the results it infers the
layout.