X server and xinit works excellent....almost.

Michael Cardell Widerkrantz mc at hack.org
Thu Nov 10 10:49:36 UTC 2011

Samuel Magnusson <samuel.magnusson5 at bredband.net>, 2011-11-10 00:49 (+0100):

> Michael Cardell Widerkrantz wrote 2011-11-09 21:02:

>> What new style XML method?

> I'm referring to what Polytropon said about all the "new" stuff
> required by X. As I understood him he was talking about the XML-files
> to give directions to HAL

Ah! HAL! Good riddance!

>> Perhaps you can file a Problem Report (PR) with a suggested text? I
>> suggest you add the text to the handbook since I assume the X.org
>> project won't touch manual pages for the ancient X servers we use in
>> FreeBSD.

> As I understand you, the man-pages from Xorg that are in FreeBSD are
> not allowed to be altered unless the Xorg project do it themselves,

I'm sure they can be altered in FreeBSD. I just thought it might be
better to add the text to the handbook. Or both.

> Anyway, I wasn't aware that the FreeBSD X server was "ancient" and
> different from any other. :)

We're a few versions behind the X.org bleeding edge since modern servers
require kernel changes.

Modern X.org servers require Kernel-based Mode Setting (KMS) and
Graphics Execution Manager (GEM) and udev support. While it's likely
there could be some udev glue on top of devd I don't know if someone is
working on it. Warner, perhaps? KMS and GEM, mainly for the intel
drivers, are being worked on:

  http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU

> Also a good beginners tutorial
> on the fonts would be good, because as I understand it there is also
> an "old" and a "new" way with the core fonts and the font server, some
> methods belonging to one and some to the other.

That's true. You can start by reading my blog post about it:

  http://hack.org/mc/blog/xfonter.html

It's in Swedish, I'm afraid, but both your name and the fact that you
were talking about a Swedish keyboard earlier makes me think you can
cope with that.

> But if I do produce something, where should I send the PR and text?

See the send-pr(1) manual page. Failing that, use:

  http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html

--
http://hack.org/mc/
Plain text e-mails, please. HTML messages sent to me are silently deleted.