X server and xinit works excellent....almost.

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Nov 8 15:14:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011, Samuel Magnusson wrote:

> 1.  I can?t zap the server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. Nothing at all happens. I
> have checked that it isn't disabled in xorg.conf, and even tried to put in
> the reverse boolean value there.  Not that I couldn't live without zapping,
> but...when I know about it that it should be there and it is taken fom me I
> feel an URGE to get the zap!

Zapping is still allowed by default, but a key combination is not
assigned.  That can be done in .xinitrc or .xsession:

   setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

It can also be done in xorg.conf:

   Section "InputDevice"
          Identifier  "Keyboard0"
          Driver      "kbd"
          Option      "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
   EndSection

> 2.  Not surprisingly I was also unable to use the Ctrl-Alt-Keypad+/- for
> zooming between the different resolution modes. But then I remembered that I
> had changed configuration from vesa driver to nouveau (with some patch that I
> downloaded according to instructions in ports). When I switched back to vesa
> it worked! Still no zapping though, and no higher resolution than 1024x768.

vesa is very limited, only supporting standard modes up to 1024x768 or
1280x1024.  Some vendors add other modes, but they aren't common.
nouveau is an open driver for the very closed Nvidia hardware.  The
closed Nvidia drivers (x11/nvidia-driver*) are supposed to work quite
well.