painful binary upgrade from 8.1 to 8.2

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Nov 7 09:31:25 UTC 2011

On 06/11/2011 19:25, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> When following the instructions at
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.2R/announce.html
>
> to go from 8.1 to 8.2, I'm presented during the command:
>
>   freebsd-update upgrade -r 8.2-RELEASE
>
> with no less than *** 322 *** files that differ only by the CVS tag.

The tag presumably being $FreeBSD$?  Is it specifically a CVS tag?  As
opposed to a SVN tag?[*]  If the former, then ever since the primary src
repo switched to SVN, all of the files under /etc will get a version
number bump as a consequence of generating a new release even if the
contents didn't change.  Before SVN that didn't happen.

If the files are taken directly from SVN, then I think the revision
number in any file should remain the same in all release branches unless
the file contents are changed.  Perhaps generating freebsd-update
changesets directly out of SVN rather than via CVS would go a long way
to avoiding this problem.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] The pertinent difference being that CVS has version numbers with one
or more decimal points in them, whilst SVN uses an integer value.

                                                  Flat 3