Why some flash sites don't work?

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 21:19:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:

>  On 11/02/2011 11:42, Adam Vande More wrote:
>
> Can you try creating a new user, and under that user install flash per the
> handbook.  That should at least tell if it's some local user settings
> causing the issue.
>

> When I create the new user, flash in FF doesn't work at all. Instructions
> from http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/desktop-browsers.html (*Under
> FreeBSD 8.X*) are followed.
> symlink /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/libflashplayer.so ->
> /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so exists.
> Also packages
> nspluginwrapper-1.4.4
> linux-f10-flashplugin-11.0r1.152
> are installed.
>
> The reason why flash works in my main user is that ~/.mozilla/plugins/
> npwrapper.libflashplayer.so file exists there.
>
> I am not sure what this file ~/.mozilla/plugins/
> npwrapper.libflashplayer.so is and where did it come from.

It comes from the rest of the instructions section, namely "nspluginwrapper
-v -a -i".

So does this mean that instructions in handbook are wrong?

When it's followed in it's entirety, it works.

As your new user, execute "nspluginwrapper -l".  If you don't get output
similar to this:

> nspluginwrapper -l
/home/adam/.mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
  Original plugin:
/usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
  Plugin viewer: /usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer
  Wrapper version string: 1.4.4-1

then you have not followed the instructions completely.

--
Adam Vande More