update packages by pkg_add

hvn huubvanniekerk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 18:16:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 19:58:04 +0200, Polytropon wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:53:28 +0200, Huub van Niekerk wrote:
>> Thank you for your answer. But how about if the package-to-be-replaced
>> is a dependency? Just remember the dependency and do the same ?
>
> As you're going to reinstall the package immediately, there won't be a
> problem. Of course, a depending program won't properly run until you've
> actually replaced the package in question.
>
> For keeping track of dependencies, you can also use portmaster or
> portupgrade and use -P and -PP options to work with packages (like
> pkg_add does) instead of compiling from sources. The "pkgdb -aF" command
> will properly store dependency informations.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I've been trying out several
options. First, I've been reading the manual(s) and thought that
"portupgrade -P <package>" might work. Alas, it ends with the message
that several dependencies needed to be upgraded first. Then I tried
"portupgrade -R <package>" which basically ended the same way. Finally I
tried "portmanager <package>" that ends the same way too. Doing all this
consumed a lot of time since it's an older machine: PIII 500MHz 500MB.
If somebody has a suggestion, I'd be glad to try it.
For now, I'm rather clueless on what to do.