RAM needed for DHCP + router?

Graeme Dargie arab at tangerine-army.co.uk
Fri May 27 09:03:35 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Chris Hill
Sent: 27 May 2011 02:16
To: Gary Gatten; Chuck Swiger
Cc: 'questions at freebsd.org'
Subject: Re: RAM needed for DHCP + router?

On Thu, 26 May 2011, Gary Gatten wrote:

> Your biggest consumers would be FBSD itself and the routing tables. I
> *think* full internet routing tables are still less than 512MB, (google
> to check), so unless you have more routes than that - 512MB may work,
> 1GB most likely will.  Too many unknowns, like; is this ipv4 only or 6
> and 4 routes? Tweaked/minimal kernel, etc.

Sorry, forgot to mention: inet4 for now, probably mixed with v6 in years
to come. GENERIC kernel if at all possible (trying to minimize maintenance
and general fussiness level).

And in reponse to Chuck,

> How many DHCP leases and NAT clients?

At any one time, probably dozens (maybe hundreds) of leases and hundreds
(maybe thousands) of NAT clients, but not tens of thousands. Leases and
NAT clients will come and go on a daily or weekly basis as equipment is
tested, configured and shipped out.

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging </> ]