UDF and DVD's

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri May 20 08:42:54 UTC 2011

> Thoughts: please provide commands, full output, etc. that show how
> you're trying to mount the disc, as well as relevant /dev entries
> pertaining to your DVD drive.  dmesg might also be helpful.  And I
> assume you have looked at mount_udf(8)?

Apologies, it is late. However I used only the obvious.
Hopefully obviously, my DVD drive is irrelevant in this case...

mdconfig -f <image> -o readonly
mount_cd9660 -v -o ro <md dev> /mnt
ls -alR /mnt
[*not* 2.5GiB of files, but...]
cat /mnt/readme.txt
This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification.
umount -v /mnt
mount_udf -v -o ro <md dev> /mnt
mount_udf: /dev/md[n]: Invalid argument
 [md dev is not mounted on /mnt]

I think it's related to the UDF version of the image. As
anyone can verify using my said images found on the
internet, Perhaps it begs for a NetBSD port?

I tested with: RELENG_8 i386.

BTW, mdconfig is also broken in that it should take arguments
regardless of position, but it does not. IE: try transposing
-d and -u, or -o. = failure to execute.