Can I bridge the same subnet across a VPN?

Kevin Wilcox kevin.wilcox at gmail.com
Tue May 3 19:44:04 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 15:19, Geoff Roberts <geoff at apro.com.au> wrote:

> Is it possible to join two sites with the same subnet across a VPN?

Yes.

> I have two sites that have the same subnet/mask.
>
> I need these two separated networks to behave as one across a VPN.

That's understandable. You may want to consider breaking the /24 into
two /25s, one at each site, and routing the connection instead but
that's not necessary and you can indeed use a bridge with few issues.

> Happy to use either IPSec or OpenVPN to actually encrypt the traffic.

We've done it as a demo of what you can do with OpenVPN, it's trivial
once you get some configuration issues straight in your head (or
that's how it worked for me).

To bridge in OpenVPN, take a look at:

http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/miscellaneous/76-ethernet-bridging.html

kmw