Any way to have login output AND use rsync/scp ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon May 2 00:17:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2 May 2011 02:13:17 +0200, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 May 2011 15:58:45 -0700 (PDT), George Sanders <gosand1982 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I have my .cshrc file run some basic netstat and 'w' commands so that when I log
> > in, I can see at a glance what is going on on the system and notice any unusual
> > login activity, etc.
> >
> > However this completely breaks both scp and rsync - they cannot function at all
> > (apparently) with any kind of stdio output from the shell.
> >
> > Is there any way around this ?
>

> Create a file ~/.login and put your commands (in sh syntax,
> not csh) there. This file will only be executed at interactive
> logins. See "man csh", section FILES for details.

Sorry, wrote before thinking. :-)

Of course ~/.login is csh syntax, as I would guess after
(missed to) read the file's header which states:

# .login - csh login script, read by login shell, after `.cshrc' at login.
# see also csh(1), environ(7).

So simply moving your commands from .cshrc to .login
should be fully sufficient.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany