Any way to have login output AND use rsync/scp ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon May 2 00:13:20 UTC 2011

On Sun, 1 May 2011 15:58:45 -0700 (PDT), George Sanders <gosand1982 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have my .cshrc file run some basic netstat and 'w' commands so that when I log
> in, I can see at a glance what is going on on the system and notice any unusual
> login activity, etc.
>
> However this completely breaks both scp and rsync - they cannot function at all
> (apparently) with any kind of stdio output from the shell.
>
> Is there any way around this ?

Create a file ~/.login and put your commands (in sh syntax,
not csh) there. This file will only be executed at interactive
logins. See "man csh", section FILES for details.

> Is there some way to specify an alternate login shell when I use scp or rsync ?

I'm sure the login shell has to be defined by the system,
usually by the /etc/passwd file, field "shell"; therefore
see "man 5 passwd".

> Or conversely:
>
> Is there some way for my login shell (csh) to notice that it is scp or rsync
> accessing the system, and skip the text output for them ?

I don't think so, but it should work fine when you move
the commands out of the shell configuration file (which
is also read by script shells AND interactive shells) to
the login startup file (which is only executed if the
shell is an interactive login shell).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany