MySQL 3 needed but how?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Mar 26 18:08:04 UTC 2011

In article <4D8E1E4A.5000609 at shopzeus.com> you write:

>Hi,
>
>I have an old backup from a MySQL data directory. It was created with
>MySQL version 3. If I install MySQL 4 then I get this message telling
>that the table was created with a different MySQL version.

You should be able to restore the individual database directories
under mysql 4 and use ALTER TABLE to upgrade the file formats.  You'll
lose the user access stuff, but that's usually easy enough to
reconstruct.

In MySQL, each database is self-describing.  That is, for database
foo, the files in the foo/ directory are both the description of
the tables and the data in them.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/upgrading-from-3-23.html

R's,
John