why does this simple counter fail?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Mar 24 23:00:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 07:11:15PM +0100, Fr?d?ric Perrin wrote:
> Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> writes:
> > 	Can any of you php hackers tell me why this simple self-hacked
> > 	counter bomb?
>
> As others said, what does 'this simple counter bomb' means?
>
>         > $fp = fopen($directory.$file, "r+");
>         > flock($fp, 1);
>
> You want an exclusive lock (LOCK_EX, which is 2 is you use some ancient
> PHP), not a shared lock.
>
> When updating the file:
> 	> fputs($fp, $count);
> 	> fputs($fp, "\n");
>         > fputs($fp, $file);
>
> Why do you feel the need to store the filename inside the file itself?
> You don't seem to need it after.

	$file is passed from the calling php file.  index.php is by-hand
	set to

	$file='index';

	and so on.

	Because of my shoulder/typing woes, it was great that I got clued in
	above by Brad's thought that perhaos there were mis-matched "<?"
	and "?>" tags.  A simply recursive grepping found out that it some
	places I had "<?" <cr> instead of "<?php"> <cr>.   Adding the "php"
	fixed everything.

	Finally, you're right; this really, really is ancient php.
	Somthing i found pre-2004 and hacked until it worked.  The
	counter is missings lots of features, but I'll fix that pretty
	soon.

	thanks to everybody ,

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 7.98a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org