[solved] How to tell whether CPU supports x64?

Daniel Zhelev daniel at zhelev.biz
Fri Mar 18 23:16:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 02:18:22PM +0300, Ilya Kazakevich wrote:
> > >
> > >        AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
> > >        AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
> > >        Cores per package: 16
> > >         Logical CPUs per core: 2
> > >
> > > The Intel site does say the E5520 supports x64. It seems the lack of
> > > LM in the original system does in fact mean it's a 32-bit only
> > > processor.
> > >

> > Look again:   AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
> > NX,*LM*
>
> I believe the reference to "the original system" means the *other* system
> whose output was included in the email -- which does not show "AMD
> Features" data.  The "original system" does not show a reference to LM,
> but the second system (whose output you quoted) *does*.
>
> . . . which to me suggests that the processor is 64 bit, but the
> "original system" for some reason does not recognize that fact.
>
> --
> Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]

It is 32bit Xeon P4 known as Dell PowerEdge 1750

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/1750_specs.pdf
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/sys/2272693617.html

The 2nd one is *Dell POWEREDGE* R610 which is 64bit system
- completely different model and processor.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/server-poweredge-r610-specs-en.pdf

Best regards!