HP Pavilion zd8000 Xorg anomaly

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 17:17:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD at insightbb.com>wrote:

> My system had crashed and it caused a directory to los it's dot and dot-dot
> entries. This was a directory that was used for iso-codes and everytie I
> started X,  it would hang.
>
> So I didn't want to format the drive, too extreme.  So I de-installed all
> my
> ports to re-install.  After I got the ports un-installed, I was able to fix
> the filesystem problem with fsck.  I tried beforehand,but it was way too
> many
> fsck issues.
>

> Anyway, I have somehow LOST my xorg.conf that WORKED.
>
> It was previously generated by xorg -configure.

You didn't list your video card.

Most of the time, you don't need an xorg.conf anymore, just insure the
proper drivers are installed e.g. video card and X should autodetect and use
highest available settings.

Also sometimes on a bad crash multiple fsck's are required to get UFS back
in a consistent state.

--
Adam Vande More