Coldfusion, Postgres and Java under FreeBSD

n j nino80 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 18:19:54 UTC 2011

> Java works very well for me under FreeBSD; I have not had a single
> problem with Java on FreeBSD.
> To install java, you can either install a pre-compiled JDK (called
> diablo-jdk) or compile all the JDK sources from scratch using the
> ports system.  If you compile yourself from ports, you can choose
> either JDK 1.5 or JDK 1.6 (there may even be newer and older JDK
> versions that work fine).  I'm running JDK 1.5 compiled from source on
> both my servers, and have had no problems in my Java applications.
> The dependencies list for 1.6 is a bit more involved, but the
> compile/install process is so automated that you won't be bothered
> with the amount of work it takes to install a JDK.
>
> So, in a nutshell, Java is very well supported under FreeBSD and you
> should consider this to be a non-issue.

IMHO, building Java on FreeBSD is a pain.

Don't get me wrong, people working on FreeBSD Java project are doing a
*great* job, but it was so much easier to just download the packages
from FreeBSD Foundation thanks to the deal with Sun. I don't know
what's the status of that deal right now, but there are no packages
for 8-RELEASE and the packages themselves weren't updated in a long
while, so I guess the deal's off.

I'm running Java on FreeBSD right now, but I must say I'd probably
stick to Linux nowadays if I had any say, at least until there comes a
day when I'll be able to "pkg_add -r openjdk7".

--
Nino