Wrong (000) UDF directory permissions with mkisofs

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Tue Mar 1 18:45:04 UTC 2011

On 03/01/2011 15:01, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
> mkisofs -R -J -udf -iso-level 3 -V NAME -o FILE.iso DIR/

[...]

> Mounting the UDF layout (mount_udf), all files have 444 permissions,
> most (2795) directories have 555 permissions, but some (167) directories
> have 000 permissions and cannot be accessed by non-root users.

I found it was exactly the eights directory level that had 000
permissions. I am still not sure, why that is a problem for UDF, if it
is non for Rockridge. Anyhow, using much more relaxed settings, I got a
DVD that works:

mkisofs -allow-leading-dots -allow-lowercase -allow-multidot -d -D
-iso-level 4 -l -N -r -udf -V NAME -o FILE.iso DIR/

Probably, just "-iso-level 4 -D" would have been sufficient.

Cheers,
Jan Henrik