FreeBSD ZFS system

Dick Hoogendijk dick at nagual.nl
Sat Jun 25 14:39:17 UTC 2011

Op 23-6-2011 9:35 schreef Valentin Bud:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Dick Hoogendijk <dick at nagual.nl
> <mailto:dick at nagual.nl>> wrote:
>
>     OK, it works very well. Installing a ZFS FreeBSD system with an
>     ufs /boot is very very easy using the PC-BSD DVD.
>     However, I have one question:
>
>     I'd like to install FreeBSD (pcbsd) on a (zfs) mirror
>     In OpenSolaris you can install directly to the zfs mirror, but
>     how's this in this situation> After all, an UFS partitin is also
>     created. How can I get the equivalent of an OpenSolaris mirrored
>     install for a FreeBSD system?
>
>     Hope I phrased the question clearly enough.
>

> Hello Community,
>
>  Like others said in their answer to your question, you don't have to
> put /boot on UFS, just go with root on ZFS.
> If you would like speed when installing the system I recommend mfsBSD
> - http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/. As pointed out
> in the web page there is a script (zfsinstall) that does all the work
> for you. It does all the steps described in the
> wiki - http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/Mirror.
>
>  If you want to gain knowledge about the process of installing FreeBSD
> with root on ZFS then go with the wiki
> article. Using mfsBSD I install a 8.2-STABLE custom system in under 5
> seconds. That's pretty neat :).
OK, I tried mfsbsd. I had the iso loaded at ata1 master and
freebsd-8.2-dvd as ata1 slave.
I booted my VM; mfsbsd came up fine. I mounted my fbsd dvd drive on
/cdrom and tried to run the zfsinstall script. Alas, it refuses.. It
can't find the (needed!) 8.2-RELEASE.???tgz file It does not exist.
There is only a directory 8.2-RELEASE (on DVD as well as on CDROM ).
Question: is this a bug in zfsinstall script?
How do I work around it?