freebsd list admins?

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Wed Jun 22 09:20:29 UTC 2011

> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:00:01 +0200
> From: Frank Bonnet <f.bonnet at esiee.fr>
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: freebsd list admins?
>
> hello
>
> If anyone knows some free USENET servers I would be happy to know it in
> France it becomes VERY hard to find one and I would like to setup one BUT
> I need some feeders ! I don't care about alt.* but we need the big 8

There are a number of free servers.  aioe.org is one.
There are several _better_ ones at very nominal cost.
e.g. news.individual.net at, I, think, 10 Euro per year.

There is also Astraweb -- see <http://www.news.astraweb.com> -- who charges
US$10 for 25gb of data. or US$25 for  180 gigs.  The account expires _only_
when you use up the download allocation. *NO* time limit.

I know people that have had the $10 account for _years_, follow only a handful
of groups, and skip over a lot of the articles in the group.  They've
hardly made a dent in their 25 gig allotment.  between 100 and 200 megs
in like four years.  They figure their $10 will last 'close to a lifetime'.

<grin>

a 'pay' server is almost always better than a free one.  Its usually easier
to get a response if there's a problem.

Astraweb is one of the best of the 'very low cost' servers.