New FreeBSD8.2 server install.

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jun 20 17:14:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:01:18 -0400, Chris Brennan wrote:
> I've got a new machine to replace the one that died on me a few weeks
> ago and since then, I've collected and cataloged my drives of various
> sizes and I am curious if I am able to do something like a poor-mans
> LVM, I thought about gmirror but that might be tricky, since I would
> have to slice drives up according to the smallest drive I have (current
> an unmarked 40GB drive). Is there a way within FreeBSD to concatenate
> the drives into a software raid0 array?

There is ccd - "Concatenated Disk drive"; see "man ccd" for details.
Also see the chapters in the Handbook:

	The Vinum Volume Manager
	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-vinum.html

	RAID
	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/raid.html

Those might be informative and inspiring.

> **EDIT**
> I postponed this mail and actually got significant answers from
> freenode/##freebsd, more then I antisipated. gconcat is what I was
> looking for above and in lieu of that, ZFS, which I would very much like
> to utilize, I'm just not sure how to go about it with a hodge-podge
> collection of disks:
>
>     1) 1x150GB PATA/EIDE drive
>     2) 2x80GB Drives (1 SATA, 1 PATA/EIDE)
>     3) 1x60GB PATA/EIDE drive
>     4) 2x40GB PATA/EIDE drives
>
> The machine is a P4 Prescott, 2.6Ghz Machine (32-bit CPU), like I
> mentioned, I just don't know what to do and am looking for some
> suggestions.

One thing is to use gstripe and gmirror, other is ZFS (but your
machine should be _good_ to actually make use of it).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany