New FreeBSD8.2 server install.

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Mon Jun 20 17:01:24 UTC 2011

I've got a new machine to replace the one that died on me a few weeks
ago and since then, I've collected and cataloged my drives of various
sizes and I am curious if I am able to do something like a poor-mans
LVM, I thought about gmirror but that might be tricky, since I would
have to slice drives up according to the smallest drive I have (current
an unmarked 40GB drive). Is there a way within FreeBSD to concatenate
the drives into a software raid0 array?

**EDIT**
I postponed this mail and actually got significant answers from
freenode/##freebsd, more then I antisipated. gconcat is what I was
looking for above and in lieu of that, ZFS, which I would very much like
to utilize, I'm just not sure how to go about it with a hodge-podge
collection of disks:

    1) 1x150GB PATA/EIDE drive
    2) 2x80GB Drives (1 SATA, 1 PATA/EIDE)
    3) 1x60GB PATA/EIDE drive
    4) 2x40GB PATA/EIDE drives

The machine is a P4 Prescott, 2.6Ghz Machine (32-bit CPU), like I
mentioned, I just don't know what to do and am looking for some
suggestions.

P.S. Currently, this machine is installed w/ the 150GB disk and I am
sitting at the Fixit prompt because I may whipe the drive and start over
with something else.