Another PHP5 problem

Jack L. Stone jacks at sage-american.com
Mon Jun 20 14:12:01 UTC 2011

At 06:49 PM 6/17/2011 -0400, Michael Powell wrote:
>Jack L. Stone wrote:
>
>[snip out a lot]
>>
>> What did you fellows do about this issue that worked best for you assuming
>> y'all had vhosts and similar stuff to worry about?
>
>Me I just bit the bullet and went with the new locations as they were
>installed as defaults. I moved my content to the location. None of my
>content cared about the underlying file system path, however there is code
>that does. When faced with this most of the time there is some configuration
>utility that can be run to make changes, with the actual data you enter
>being stored in a database backend. This then becomes a choice of "is it
>easier to simply modify the docroot in the .conf files?", if you have this
>situation.
>

>-Mike

Just a follow-up on my own experience with upgrade to apache22 and its
change of path. I was just overthinking it. Simply changing the doc root in
the main httpd conf to match my exising one worked beautifully with any
concern about moving content around and breaking the system path for
scripts and things. By modifying the www/apache22/data back to www/data
left everything as was. My production servers are now updated this way. My
web serving was only down for a few minutes as I left apache2 running in
memory. I simply uploaded copies of all of my tested .conf files from the
test server before installing apache22. Also first made the minor changes
needed to the main conf and vhost.conf. Killed the apache2 and voila!

Thanks for your version of the process, but thought I'd post mine here too
just in case there is anyone left on the planet besides me that hasn't
already upgraded to apache22.

Truly it doesn't pay to get too far behind on upgrades....

(^_^)
Happy trails,
Jack L. Stone

System Admin