Any working SIP-phone on FreeBSD?

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Sun Jun 19 01:44:13 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 22:23:15 +0100, Frank Shute wrote:
>> I think we have to wait for somebody to write a Skype clone and
>> hopefully MS taking over Skype will provide the impetus (MS will drop
>> the linux port as soon as they can).
>
> Some time ago I've read (at least I _think_ I read it) that
> someone reverse-engineered the Skype protocol, so there maybe
> is the chance that a free Skype alternative, being compatible
> with Skype, will be created.

I guess, we don't need to mimic Skype's proprietary protocol, because
that would create patent-related problems in some parts of the world.

What we need though, that's a WORKING and robust NAT traversal
technique, be it in Ekiga or any other SIP-based softphone. Because
that's what prevents them for working reliably everywhere. This is an
interesting research project:

http://www.goto.info.waseda.ac.jp/~wei/file/wei-apan-v10.pdf

-cpghost.

--