Any working SIP-phone on FreeBSD?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jun 18 22:43:05 UTC 2011

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 22:23:15 +0100, Frank Shute wrote:
> I think we have to wait for somebody to write a Skype clone and
> hopefully MS taking over Skype will provide the impetus (MS will drop
> the linux port as soon as they can).

Some time ago I've read (at least I _think_ I read it) that
someone reverse-engineered the Skype protocol, so there maybe
is the chance that a free Skype alternative, being compatible
with Skype, will be created.

Anyway, getting rid of Skype is in my opinion mandatory to
maintain freedom in _many_ ways, as it is obvious that MICROS~1
will be integrating its functionality into upcoming "Windows"
and then surely will exclude anyone _else_ from participating.
They have a long tradition doing such things...

However, being able to use a cross-platform SIP capable client
for IP telephony and video conferencing that is compatible with
the majority of systems out there would be great, on _any_ free
operating system (not "just Linux").

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany