Sorry. Numpty alert! FreeBSD Jails... Help?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jun 8 14:13:42 UTC 2011

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 14:05:24 +0100, "Dave" <dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 8 Jun 2011 at 0:53, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>
> > > and AFIK have downloaded all the sys and ports
> > > sources..   How do I confirm that,
> >
> > cd /usr/src
> > make clean ; make cleandir ; make clean	# gets rid of obj
> > du -s -k
> >  547684  .
>
> "cant cd to /usr/src/share/info
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /urs/src.
> You have new mail.
> (Contents of the mail is the usual sustem/security stuff)
>
> I figure something else is missing, so didn't bother with anything else.

You really need to have the complete sources. There are many
ways to get them (e. g. using sysinstall, traditionally not
recommended in the first place), loading them from the CD or
DVD (works if you need -RELEASE), or obtaining them per CVS.

Here's a short solution that will also work with incomplete
(partially present) src/ subtrees.

First, add this to /etc/make.conf:

	SUP_UPDATE=yes
	SUP=/usr/bin/csup
	SUPFLAGS=-g -L 2
	SUPHOST=cvsup.freebsd.org
	SUPFILE=/etc/sup/stable.sup

Then create /etc/sup/stable.sup with the following content:

	*default host=cvsup.freebsd.org
	*default base=/var/db
	*default prefix=/usr
	*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8
	*default delete use-rel-suffix
	*default compress
	src-all

This of course assumes that you want 8-STABLE sources. And
instead of cvsup.freebsd.org, you can select a mirror near
your location. Refer to the Handbook for the CVS tags to
supply.

If you've done all that, go:

	# cd /usr/src
	# make update

(You should at least have the "base" src pack because of
the Makefile installed.)

You can use this to update your sources any time you want.
Instead of -STABLE, you can also request -RELEASE, -RELEASE-pX
(the security branch), or -CURRENT.

(You can use a similar approach to get the ports/ subtree
updated, but portsnap is much faster.)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany