Dell R210 "no disks found"

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Sat Jun 4 11:25:37 UTC 2011

On 3 Jun 2011, at 17:18, Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole at cairodurham.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Steve Polyack <korvus at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I'm assuming these have the PERC H200 cards in them.  If so, you will need
>> the mps(4) driver which is only available in FreeBSD 8-STABLE built sometime
>> after the 8.2 release.  You can find ISO snapshots of 8-STABLE builds here
>> http://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snapshots/.  Search the list archives for
>> "PERC H200" for more information.
>
> I made a DVD from the ISO and then it booted.  I had to destroy the
> RAID array, unfortunately.  It looks 8-STABLE can see the disks as
> /dev/da0 and /dev/da1, but it can't see the array.

This is both normal and excpected, at this point in time the mps driver can't work with h200's hard raid.

> My next issue is this:  I can use the DVD to install 8.2-RELEASE, but
> not 8-STABLE.  However, 8.2-RELEASE can't boot, sinc eit doesn't have
> the driver for the HDs.  Am I missing something?

You need to get mfsbsd by Martin Matuska.
Then, prepare a 8.2 world along with the kernel containing the mps driver and/or module.

Once your image is done, install a dummy Linux on your box.

Next, inject your mfsbsd image in the disks with dd , and reboot.

Once you reboot you'll have a fully functional bsd running from ram.
You will then be able to perform a manual install as I roughly describe here:
http://my.gd/bsd.htm(l)

You will also need, once your install is done, to recopy a kernel including the mps driver, seeing the one from the 8.2 isos doesn't.