Arduino UNO - upload not working

Wayne Sierke ws at au.dyndns.ws
Sat Jul 30 07:11:26 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-30 at 00:01 +0100, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anybody confirm that Arduino UNO is working fine with FreeBSD?
>
> I'm having problems with uploading my sketches. Arduino IDE says:
>
> Binary sketch size: 3620 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)
> avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
>
> And it doesn't upload anything. Uploading on Windows works fine. Also
> once the sketch is uploaded on Windows then I can receive data on
> FreeBSD via Serial Monitor. It's just Upload that doesn't work.
>
> It's recognized by my system as:
> ugen0.2: <Arduino (www.arduino.cc)> at usbus0
> umodem2: <Arduino (www.arduino.cc) Arduino Uno, class 2/0, rev
> 1.10/0.01, addr 2 > on usbus0
> umodem2: data interface 1, has CM over data, has break
>
> Also sysctl says:
> dev.umodem.2.%desc: Arduino (www.arduino.cc) Arduino Uno, class 2/0, rev
> 1.10/0.01, addr 3
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p2 with Arduino 0022 (with a patch to
> resolve the readlink problems). I'm using uarduno kernel module (tried
> both versions 1.00 and 1.02a) and avrdude (tried both vanilla ports and
> with a www.mrp3.com/uarduno.html patch).
>
> Run out of ideas and switching back to Windows kills my productivity
> (and fun!). If it works for you then at least please let me know that
> it's doable.

Hi Michael,

I just started using some Arduino devices with FreeBSD in the last
couple of weeks.

I encountered two issues using them in FreeBSD (7.4-RELEASE i386):

 0) The automatic reset for programming generally didn't work for me.
However after judicious experimentation I was able to time a manual
reset of the board being programmed by waiting for the "Binary sketch
size:" message to appear in the Arduino IDE and timing a reset from that
(about 2-3 seconds in my case).

 1) Initially I found with the first two boards I worked with that I was
unable to program them from FreeBSD until I had successfully programmed
them from a system running Windows. It seems too bizarre to be true and
it seems more likely that I hadn't latched on to some key element of
successfully programming from the FreeBSD environment. Nevertheless in
both cases having programmed them from the Windows machine I
subsequently had immediate success from FreeBSD.

Two of the boards I'm using are clones made by Freetronics. I'm also
using some "Pro mini" boards made by SparkFun programmed via an FTDI
breakout cable. I am now programming all of the boards successfully from
FreeBSD.

HTH,

Wayne