Tools to find "unlegal" files ( videos , music etc )

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Tue Jul 19 03:23:47 UTC 2011

> Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 23:01:53 -0700
> From: perryh at pluto.rain.com
> Subject: Re: Tools to find "unlegal" files ( videos , music etc )
>
> Robert Bonomi <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com> wrote:
>
> <snip specific suggestions re awk(1), file(1), find(1), grep(1), etc.>
>
> All well and good for locating files of a certain format and/or
> with particular content, but it doesn't address the question of
> whether a specific copy is "legal", i.e. did the user who put it
> there have the legal right to put it there?

{{ Noting that the troll contributed nothing constructive to the OP's
   problem, _or_ to dealing with the pseudo-issue he raises. }}

Obviously the ankle-biter was incapable of reading the ACTUAL REQUEST
the OP made:

  "Anyone knows an utility that I could pipe to the "find" command
   in order to detect video, music, games ... etc  files ?

   I need a tool that could "inspect" inside files because many users
   rename those filename to "inoffensive" ones :-)"

NOTE WELL that the OP was _smart_enough_ -- unlike the prior poster -- to
ask about something that _can_ be done mechanically.

Furthermore, it was _explicit_ in the actual suggestion that it only
produced a list possible 'suspects' -- It did _not_ provide any indication
of status -- 'legal', or otherwise.