Am I Missing A Compat Library?

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 18 20:15:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 01:02:53PM -0500, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> On 7/18/2011 12:43 PM, Roland Smith said this:
>

> > But I _don't_ get this linker error. Just a thought, but have a look at glib
> > and dbus, and check that it is linked to the right libicu? ('ldd
> > /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0' and 'ldd /usr/local/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so.2')
> >
> > If that is not the case, you'll have to dive into the configure output, I
> > think.
> >
> > Roland
>

> A forced deinstallation of avahi-app and then an installation, seems
> to have made the problem disappear.

I've seen that problem before. Sometimes an app will link to the previously
installed versions of its libraries rather than the freshly built ones. Do you
by any chance have the environment variable LIBRARY_PATH set to
/usr/local/lib? I've long suspected that or the -L option to gcc to be the
culprit.

> So much for "dynamically linked libraries will make systems maintenance
> simpler ..."

Static linking does indeed have some advantages. :-) Of course there is still
the option WITHOUT_DYNAMICROOT in /etc/src.conf to build /bin and /sbin
without dynamic linking... Haven't tried it in years, though.

Roland