Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

Bill Tillman btillman99 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 19:26:10 UTC 2011

________________________________
From: "perryh at pluto.rain.com" <perryh at pluto.rain.com>
To: jrisom at gmail.com; cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Sent: Mon, July 18, 2011 9:05:47 AM
Subject: Re: Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

Joshua Isom <jrisom at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/17/2011 6:16 PM, Mario Lobo wrote:
> > On Sunday 17 July 2011 10:13:13 C. Bergstr??m wrote:
> >> I hope gnome does [go Linux-only]..  Maybe then more
> >> people would forget about it and focus on making KDE better ;)
> What about enlightenment?

For us old-timers :)

What's the advantage of any of these "desktop environments" (Gnome,
KDE, enlightenment, Xfce) over ordinary X11 with (say) FVWM2 or TWM?
Certainly there are some useful apps that, for better or worse, are
built with gtk or the KDE toolkit, but what does the full-blown
environment really contribute (other than bloat)?