Lennart Poettering: BSD Isn't Relevant Anymore

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jul 18 09:02:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 06:05:47AM -0700, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Joshua Isom <jrisom at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What about enlightenment?
>
> For us old-timers :)
>
> What's the advantage of any of these "desktop environments" (Gnome,
> KDE, enlightenment, Xfce) over ordinary X11 with (say) FVWM2 or TWM?
> Certainly there are some useful apps that, for better or worse, are
> built with gtk or the KDE toolkit, but what does the full-blown
> environment really contribute (other than bloat)?

+1

mwm is all I need. Since it is a part of
open-motif, which is required by few other
important ports like xpdf, gnuplot and teTeX,
I don't even need to install a separate twm.

I'd speculate that the idea that one
needs to install a fucking monster of
a package A to do a job B, and then
another fucking monster C to do a job D
might be coming from Windows world.

IMHO the old unix philosophy of
having a combination of multiple simple
tools to do a multitude of complex tasks
is still true for modern FreeBSD.

--
Anton Shterenlikht
Room 2.6, Queen's Building