can't build teTeX port in FreeBSD 8.2 amd64

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 14 18:22:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 05:08:16PM +0100, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> > I would advise you to get TeXLive instead, but that is just me.  You
> > can install from TeXLive DVD, or go get a DVD with packages:
>
>  I would second that. It comes comlete with FreeBSD binaries for i386 and amd64 in the 2010 release and installing it is really easy.
>
> > I hoped for a true native port for TeXLive

TeXLive has its own configuration UI because it has a lot of options. It even
has its own package manager. I think that makes it a poor fit for the ports
infrastructure.

> I can't see that it's really necessary. I remember difficulties with the 2009 release when FreeBSD binaries were not included but now they are the installation is headache-free.

The only problem is that some ports that use *TeX require teTeX from
ports. I've gotten around that by patching the port makefiles in question, but
I have to re-apply those patches every time those ports are updated. Not that
big of a deal, but something to watch out for.

Roland