HPLIP 3.10.9 problems on FreeBSD 8.1

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 19:40:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Rolf Nielsen <listreader at lazlarlyricon.com
> wrote:

> I am trying to make my HP LaserJet P1102 work on FreeBSD 8.1 and
>> towards that goal I installed HPLIP 3.10.9 from the Ports Collection.
>> But there are two problems:
>> 1.First, when I try to run HPLIP in the GUI (GNOME), it closes once
>> it's opened. It remains open for less than a second.
>> 2.Second, it does not recognize my printer. When I use the
>> command-line tools it just simply does not recognize my printer. This
>> is while the printer is recognized on the USB bus, I confirm it by
>> using "usbconfig".

It seems to me hplip is in a lot of ways just an extension of CUPS.  I've
had mixed luck with hplip although not with your specific issue.  I would
try to run the hplip utility you're using from the command line to see where
it is failing but you should be able to administer most functions from the
cups web interface.  I had one printer that was said to be supported which I
spend approximately 6 months on and off trying to get to work and never
did(the printer did work on a Mac, just not FreeBSD).  After replacing it
with a different model, it worked immediately and very smoothly.  I have
hplip installed at other locations and it works well.

> If not, try one of them.

Hm. I just checked the output of my usbconfig, and it also shows no ulpt,
> though I do have it. And I also checked the GENERIC config file, and it does
> include ulpt, at least for 8.2-PRERELEASE amd64. So, you may actually have
> it. But that's still the first thing I'd look for if I were you.

Easy way to check if module is in kernel is "kldstat -v"

--
Adam Vande More