HPLIP 3.10.9 problems on FreeBSD 8.1

Rolf Nielsen listreader at lazlarlyricon.com
Wed Jan 26 17:41:37 UTC 2011

2011-01-26 18:04, Bahman Kahinpour skrev:
> Hi FreeBSD people,
> I am trying to make my HP LaserJet P1102 work on FreeBSD 8.1 and
> towards that goal I installed HPLIP 3.10.9 from the Ports Collection.
> But there are two problems:
> 1.First, when I try to run HPLIP in the GUI (GNOME), it closes once
> it's opened. It remains open for less than a second.
> 2.Second, it does not recognize my printer. When I use the
> command-line tools it just simply does not recognize my printer. This
> is while the printer is recognized on the USB bus, I confirm it by
> using "usbconfig".
>
> mail# uname -a
> FreeBSD mail.freebsdsystem.net 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #0: Mon
> Jan 24 23:09:14 IRST 2011
> root at mail.freebsdsystem.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
> mail# usbconfig
> ugen0.1:<EHCI root HUB Intel>  at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH
> (480Mbps) pwr=ON
> ugen1.1:<EHCI root HUB Intel>  at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH
> (480Mbps) pwr=ON
> ugen0.2:<product 0x0020 vendor 0x8087>  at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST
> spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE
> ugen1.2:<product 0x0020 vendor 0x8087>  at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST
> spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE
> ugen1.3:<Optical Mouse Genius>  at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW
> (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON
> ugen1.4:<HID Keyboard Device vendor 0x0e6a>  at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST
> spd=LOW (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON
> ugen1.5:<HP LaserJet Professional P1102 Hewlett-Packard>  at usbus1,
> cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON
> mail#
>
> Can you give me a little help? Has anyone ever managed to get this
> printer (HP P1102) working on FreeBSD?
>
> Good Luck

I've never used that specific printer, but the first thing that comes to
mind is the lack of ulpt entries. Do you have

device	ulpt

in your kernel config file, or

ulpt_load="YES"

in your /boot/loader.conf ?

If not, try one of them.

Hm. I just checked the output of my usbconfig, and it also shows no
ulpt, though I do have it. And I also checked the GENERIC config file,
and it does include ulpt, at least for 8.2-PRERELEASE amd64. So, you may
actually have it. But that's still the first thing I'd look for if I
were you.

Rolf Nielsen