dhcpd does not log

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Tue Jan 25 21:33:28 UTC 2011

Hello!

I have isc-dhcp41-server-4.1.2,1 installed on FreeBSD 8.1 amd64 and it
is working well, except that it generates no log.

In dhcpd.conf I have this line:
log-facility local4;

and in syslog.conf:
local4.*                                        /var/log/dhcpd

The file /var/log/dhcpd exists with permissions 0600, owned by root. I
have restarted dhcpd and syslogd and the entire server, but this has
no effect. I have also tried removing the log-facility line from
dhcpd.conf expecting that after restarting dhcpd the log messages
appear in /var/log/messages, but they don't.

dhcpd is running with these arguments, as seen by ps:

/usr/local/sbin/dhcpd \
   -q -cf /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf \
   -lf /var/db/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases \
   -pf /var/run/dhcpd/dhcpd.pid \
   -user dhcpd -group dhcpd -chroot /var/db/dhcpd em0

--
Toomas Aas