FreeBSD cups printing server

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Thu Jan 20 04:53:11 UTC 2011

> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Wed Jan 19 21:14:59 2011
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:39:01 -0600
> From: "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman at gmail.com>
> To: FreeBSD Questions <questions at freebsd.org>
> Subject: FreeBSD cups printing server
>
> Hello list,
>
> I have a freshly installed FreeBSD 8.2 print server using the latest cups
> from ports.
>
> I have a Brother 9440CN printer and a Virtual pdf printer installed with
> cups-pdf
>
> both work great...
>
> my problem is I want to create a pdf for everything I send to the brother
> printer (for archival purposes)
>
> can I add multiple printers to a single queue? or is there a script
> somewhere, that I could copy the cups generated postscript to the
> cups-pdf printer?

At least a couple of options:

(the *UGLY* one)
1) define a named pipe
2) tell CUPS that that pipe is the printer device
3) from the system start-up script, launch a script
   that does the following in a loop:
     uses tee(1) to read from the named pipe, and copy to a unique archive file
     pipes stdout from tee(1) to the actual printer device