FreeBSD cups printing server

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jan 20 04:39:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:39:01 -0600, "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a freshly installed FreeBSD 8.2 print server using the latest
> cups from ports.
>
> I have a Brother 9440CN printer and a Virtual pdf printer installed
> with cups-pdf
>
> both work great...
>
> my problem is I want to create a pdf for everything I send to the
> brother printer (for archival purposes)
>
> can I add multiple printers to a single queue? or is there a script
> somewhere, that I could copy the cups generated postscript to the
> cups-pdf printer?

If you're using standard /etc/printcap entries, it should
be easy to write a simple filter that just does "| tee"
for the regular printing input and branch a copy of it
to the PDF printer which then stores the file, while
the original PS stream will arrive at the actual
printer filter.

Sorry I can't be more CUPS-specific as I have abandoned
this... "monster" many years ago. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany