named/bind problems....

Robert Boyer rwboyer at mac.com
Thu Jan 20 00:09:35 UTC 2011

okay,

lets start from the beginning here...

1) Do you have your own IP address and IP address block that you are hosting DMS for or is it local only?

2) from talking with you last night I want to make sure you are aware of two things...

	A) resolv.conf is used for name resolution on EVERY system it tells ALL  of the software to get name services from. We fixed this last night for one of your systems by pointing it at a name server that works (the one you had did not work)
	B) named provides name services (as well as forwarding to other dns services)  and can be pointed to by resolv.conf on you local systems -  if it is not working AND your local resolv.conf files are pointing there your name resolution will not work.
        C) you can get internet name services working temporarily by using some of the servers I have you 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in all of your resolv.conf files - you don't need named to work for this. You can also use /etc/hosts for your couple of local name/address translations as a work around until you get named working again.

3) dig is your friend for debugging named - you can use dig @local-dns-address lookup-name to debug your named while still using external name servers in your resolv.conf and local naming in /etc/hosts until you ACTUALLY are sure your local named is working.

4) The only thing you really really need a local named for is if you have a real IP block that you are responsible for providing name services on the internet for - rarely the case and even if you do you can temporarily jamb the names you care about in another
DNS server somewhere out there like zoneedit or free dns temporarily.

Get your stuff working then debug your named.

RB