Which network driver for RTL8211 or 8201 NIC's?

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 19 23:54:55 UTC 2011

Mike Clarke wrote:
> I need to replace a failing motherboard. I'm aiming to keep the existing
> Athlon CPU so I'm tied down to to a socket AM2(+) board and the
> majority of those available seem to have nForce 630a chipsets and
> RTL8211CL or 8201EL NIC's which aren't explicitly mentioned in the
> release notes
> <http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.1R/hardware.html#ETHERNET>. I see
> that the strings RTL8211C(L) and RTL8201L (but not EL) appear
> in /usr/src/sys/dev/rgephy.c and rlphy.c but the man page for the rl
> driver only mentions RealTek 8129/8139 and I'm not sure which driver is
> built from rgephy.c.
>
> Am I going to have problems if I get a motherboard with one of these
> NIC's?

It's a bit confusing, because there are product numbers associated
with NICs, and with different individual component chipsets, and some
code is shared.  Pyun YongHyeon, who has been working on the re(4) and
rl(4) drivers in -CURRENT and -STABLE recently, could probably tell
you more (I've cc'ed him).

b.