Keyboard repeat issues with Dell Optiplex 980s

Steve Polyack korvus at comcast.net
Tue Jan 18 22:06:57 UTC 2011

We've recently upgraded a few desktop workstations from Dell Optiplex
960s to Optiplex 980s.  We were running FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE.  The
migration was performed by simply swapping the drives into the new
systems.  Immediately after switching people over, they all began to
report bizarre keyboard issues - things like infinite key repeats
(letters, numbers, "enter") for keys they did not hold down.  The key
repeats continue indefinitely until another key is pressed.
Occasionally, even mouse input will trigger similar infinite keyboard
input repetition.  In addition to the repeat issue, sometimes physical
key-presses are not registered by FreeBSD, leading to typos and angry
developers.

We've tried doing fresh installs of FreeBSD 8.2-RC2 on two of these
systems, and the issue persists.  Because of the observed behavior, I'm
thinking that this is due to new hardware in the 980s which isn't timing
or handling interrupts correctly under the FreeBSD kernel.

Looking at a 'pciconf -lvb' from each system, I noticed that the 980 has
two USB controllers which probe under ehci(4), while the 960 (which does
not exhibit this problem), enumerates six uhci(4) controllers and two
ehci(4) controllers.  To cut to the chase here, the 960 users' keyboards
probe under a USB1.0 uhci(4), while the 980s only have ehci(4) devices
to attach to.

So, I guess what I'm asking is - has anyone else seen any keyboard
repeat or other USB craziness with ehci(4) ports or otherwise Intel PCH
controllers?    Any fellow Optiplex 980 users?  I'd be more than happy
to provide pciconf or other output if requested.

Thanks,
Steve Polyack