FreeBSD Decision

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Fri Jan 14 20:44:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 07:46:20PM +0100, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
> Hi list, I don't want make a flame post but I would ask an objective
> opinion, then not a camp opinion, about using FreeBSD or Debian Linux in
> a production environment for solution as such as cluster of some
> service, proxy, SAN, performance, smp with an high number of cpu, PDC,
> Mail Server (qmail), raid software, security support and hardware
> support. I'm using Slackware Linux but in production environment there
> are problem with packages and distro update and other support.
> Then for you, what is the best for those solutions?

I don't fully understand your needs but would suggest most anything you
are familiar with and can find support from others will do.

Wish I could say MacOS X Snow Leopard Server has been flawless but it
has not. Still its something worth evaluating. An entire Mac Mini Server
with two 500G drives an unlimited user license is a budget busting $995
full MSRP.

Many former FreeBSD core members now work for Apple. Many of the man
pages in MacOS X still say FreeBSD. Apple has done a lot for FreeBSD.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net