[Probably a bit OT] A question about mail systems

Jerry freebsd.user at seibercom.net
Sat Jan 8 13:32:13 UTC 2011

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 13:26:22 +0100
Rolf Nielsen <listreader at lazlarlyricon.com> articulated:

> Moreover, I'd like to use maildir instead of a single file mailbox,
> so I'd like to switch from sendmail to e.g. postfix.
>
> The problem is that my knowledge about e-mail configuration is
> somewhat limited. I've found several tutorials and HOWTOs on getting
> postfix and either a POP3 or an IMAP server up and running, but they
> were all aimed at quite advanced setups, meant for serving entire
> domains, and most of them involved having the users in a MySQL
> database. I've fiddled a bit with it, but I can't seem to get postfix
> to deliver the mail.

I have set up several Postfix/Dovecot systems, a few which included
Fetchmail. They are relatively easy to configure. The only problem I
now have is with the latest v2.x of Dovecot. Despite what you may hear,
it is not really and truly stable yet; although it is getting there. If
this system is to be only for your own use, then that would not be a
problem at all. Postfix should work "out of the box". Only a few
modifications need to be added to its basic config file for it to be up
and running on your system. SASL and AUTH SMTP are easily setup if
required.

For starters, I would highly recommend that you register on the Postfix
mail forum. You can get all of the help you need to get started there.
You can also contact me OL if you would like further assistance.

--
Jerry ✌
FreeBSD.user at seibercom.net