Backtick versus $()

Gary Gatten Ggatten at waddell.com
Thu Feb 24 23:18:05 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Polytropon
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:13 PM
To: Chad Perrin
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Backtick versus $()

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 15:54:25 -0700, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:40:44PM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:24:37 -0800, Rob Farmer <rfarmer at predatorlabs.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've read it before. Who hasn't?
> >
> > I haven't. :-)
>
> While reading it, just keep this in mind:
>
> It's about "programming" in csh.  It's not about using csh as an
> interactive user shell.  People who try to use it as "proof" that we
> should not use csh as an interactive user shell don't get it.

>From my personal experience, I know that the C shell is
not the best shell for scripting, but one of the best
interactive shells. The article proves the first part
of my statement to be quite... accurate, as the C shell
really has some specific syntax - redirection and grouping
are typical issues. But well, that's not a big problem
as the C shell does not claim to be command-line
compatible to (ba)sh.

> I see from this you are not prone to confuse programming with an
> interactive user shell.

I'm old enough not to be cheated that easily. :-)

Everyone is wrong! "pfmsh" is the best at everything, period.  It does everything you can possibly think of today and tomorrow.  It doesn't require any upgrades, ever.  It's 100% secure.  It doesn't use any memory or other resources, $hit, it doesn't even need to be installed; it just "magically" works.

There you have it.

"This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient
 and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential.
 any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this email
 and its attachments, if any, is strictly prohibited.  If you have
 received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by
 return email and delete this email from your system."