How to forward old root mails to an external email address?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Feb 23 21:41:05 UTC 2011

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:32:03 -0800 (PST), Bill Tillman <btillman99 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The only problem with this is that unlike 10 years ago, today almost all ISP's
> block anything coming down port 25 unless you have an account that allows your
> e-mail server to work. And they of course charge for this. I used to enjoy my
> own private e-mail server but these days if the ISP's don't charge you for it
> they block it.

This is sadly true and possibly the result of spamming
traditionally coming from compromised home PCs. Some
providers offer you to use their MX, so if you're using
sendmail as MTA, let it hand its messages to your ISP's
MX as a realy which will then identify by a "good IP".

This can be configured in your sendmail's mc as follows:

	define(`SMART_HOST', `mx.your.isp.blah')

Note that most relays will only accept messages coming
from the respective ISP's net, so when you try to use
it from a different ISP, it will deny your access.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany